Write and Edit #
- Complete your manuscript.
- Fully self-edit, including revisions and prose-level editing.
- Send your manuscript to beta readers, and consider revising based on their feedback.
- Consider professional developmental editing or a manuscript critique.
Choose a Publishing Route #
Review the types of publishing. Decide whether to query literary agents, submit to small presses, or publish independently.
Query Literary Agents or Submit to Small Presses #
- Consider professional line editing.
- Write a query.
- Write a synopsis.
- Research literary agents and/or publishers.
- Send queries (or full manuscripts, if requested).
- Wait for responses and repeat.
- Prepare questions to discuss with interested parties.
See this post for an in-depth walkthrough.
- Seriously consider professional line editing and proofreading.
- Purchase ISBNs from Bowker.
- Write your back cover blurb.
- Professional cover design.
- Professional interior layout.
- Choose and upload to self-publishing platforms.
- Market your book.